The Computer Engineering Department was established in September 1987 under the Faculty of Computer Studies, BINUS UNIVERSITY and has an accreditation of Grade “B”. It has various alumni who have gone on to take part in various domains of the business industry. The Computer Engineering Study Program was founded to meet the demand of knowledge about computer systems encompassing computer hardware, software and computer networks.
Well established and world famous organizations, i.e. the Insititute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (IEEE) and the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), use the following definition:
“Computer engineering embodies the science and the technology of design, construction, implementation and maintenance of the hardware and the software components of modern computing systems and computer-controlled equipment,” and its graduates said: “Computer engineers are solidly grounded in the theories and principles of computing, mathematics and engineering, and apply these theoretical principles to design hardware, software, networks, and computerized equipment and instruments to solve problems in diverse application domains.”
Hence, graduates of the Computer Engineering Study Program will enjoy knowldege of computer software as well as computer hardware. This will allow graduates to contribute to any kind of application wherever computers are used.
The development of Information Technology and the need for experienced computer systems professionals is behind the innovative Computer Engineering Study Program. Currently the Program covers expertise in understanding to build completed computer system solution that consist of hardware and software, ranging from communication system, embedded systems, robotics and industrial automation in business enterprises. Beside the technical expertise, our student will learn how to become the entrepreneur in the information technology, that we call Technopreneur. All these aspects of study are included in the curriculum which is divided into three concentration fields starting in the fifth semester. To give working experiences for student, we offer internship program for student in 6th or 7th semester, also offering industrial applied research activities with their lecturer. In principle, the curriculum is derived from the curriculum developed by IEEE/ACM and by conducting benchmarking activities with other prestigious domestic and foreign universities. Additionally, the research activities which are conducted by students and lecturers continue to expand due to various sources of funding (industries, government, etc)
The Computer Engineering Study Program supported by 90% S2/S3 lecturers. The laboratories that support the Computer Engineering Study Program include Algorithm & Programming Laboratory, Computer Network Laboratory, Electronic & Digital System Laboratory, Control System Laboratory, Embedded System Laboratory, Digital Signal Processing Laboratory, Mechatronic Laboratory, and Robotic Laboratory.
A study program of choice in Computer Engineering, which focuses on Intelligence, Mobility, and Secure Communication technologies, is recognized internationally, champions innovation and produces graduates with international qualification.
The mission of Computer Engineering Department is to contribute to the global community through the provision of world-class education by :
- Educating students with the knowledge and skills in science and technology in the design, analysis and application of intelligent, mobile, and secure connectivity technologies. We prepare graduates to be ethical professionals and technopreuners, as well as to continue for advanced degrees in computer engineering or related disciplined in global community.
- Providing a vibrant learning and research environment that nurtures the most creative, value-added and leadership talents of our graduates for the global community.
- Improving quality of life by conducting professional services and high impact applied research in Computer Engineering related disciplines.
The objectives of the program are:
- To provide students with a fundamental knowledge of scientific, engineering, and professional principles that are essential to the practice of computer engineering.
- To provide students with the methodological and computational skills within Computer Engineering that enable them to be successful in their career
- To prepare students with team work and social responsibility skills, and support them to be successful as ethical citizens and global team players.
- To provide students with the ability to meet the needs of a rapidly changing world.by continually updating and renewing their knowledge throughout their careers.
At the end of the program, graduates will have these following competencies
- An ability to apply knowledge of math, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, components or process to meet desired needs
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve computer engineering problems
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern computer engineering tools in practice
- An ability to function in a multidisciplinary team
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities
- An ability to communicate effectively
- An understanding of the impact of computer engineering solutions in a global and societal context.
- A recognition of the need and ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
Prospective Career of the Graduates
- Industrial Control System Developer and Engineer
- Network Designer and Engineer
- Computer Network Security Professional
- Embedded System Developer
- Research and Development in Robotics
- IT Consultant
Information Technology is developing rapidly, particularly in the fields of data communication, computer networks, robotics, manufacturing and process industries, household appliances, as well as in the support of management activities. Therefore, the curriculum of the Computer Engineering Study Program is divided into three core subjects:
- Communication System: study in the design and management of data communications, computer network (LAN, WAN, Wireless Network) using industry standard curriculum and equipment from CISCO System, and Computer Network Security that we believe will play important role in the future.
- Embedded System: study in the design and development of ubiquitous computer and electronic system that can run independently without or less human intervention. The embedded system covers from simple 8-bit microcontroller up to high performance Embedded ARM Linux and FPGA-based system design.
- Robotics and Automation (control, vision & intelligence): analysis of dynamic systems, control, computer vision, and artificial intelligence system and applications related to how computers can interact with human being via robots in an autonomous fashion.
The student normally finish their study in eight semesters. In special circumstances some students are able to complete the Program in seven semesters.
To see subject distribution in each semester please see in IDC – Curriculum on head menu.
Last updated :